BRIEF RICH EAST HISTORY
Construction of the East Campus of Rich Township High School, financed by a $1,600,000 bond issue, began in September 1952. Twelve months later it was operating as a four-year high school. During the 1952-53 school year, a ninth grade school was operating in the Faith United Protestant Church in Park Forest, located on a 55-acre site donated by American Community Builders, Inc. The original building accommodated approximately 750 students.
The East Campus was formally dedicated in December 1953 by the Secretary of Health, Education and Safety, Mrs. Oveta Culp Hobby. It was fully accredited by both the North Central Association and the State of Illinois during the initial year of operation. In 1954, it won, for the municipalities which it serves, the All-American City award, the first ever to be awarded to a school.
In 1955, a $450,000 bond issue financed the addition of 12 classrooms and a gymnasium. This increased the capacity of the school to approximately 1,100 students. In 1957, a $1,050,000 bond issue was passed and the money used to increase the size of the East Campus to accommodate 1,500 to 1,600 students.